You may have heard about the Hawaiian Electric Company’s (HECO) latest proposals to the State Public Utilities Commission (PUC) on modernizing its infrastructure, accommodating more renewable energy production, reducing electricity costs, and increasing distribution capacity and interconnection capability.
You may have also heard that these proposals include new fees on HECO customers (including a $55 monthly charge for all customers and a separate $16 monthly interconnection fee for PV customers), as well as discontinuing the current Net Energy Metering (NEM) program, with a significant decrease in the amount paid to PV customers who provide power for the grid.
The Public Utilities Commission is currently soliciting public comments on these plans through October 6, 2014. Your comments will help the PUC in its initial review and assessment of the plans.
When submitting your comments, please remember to include the docket number of the HECO proposal you are commenting on. Comments are being received on two different dockets:
1. Docket No. 2014-0183 relates to Power Systems Improvement Plans
2. Docket No. 2014-0192 addresses a Distributed Generation Interconnection Plan.
You may also view comments that have already been submitted to the PUC, at http://dms.puc.hawaii.gov/dms/DocketSearch. You will need to enter the Docket No. in the box at the upper left, then click on the “Documents” tab to view all documents filed thus far, including public comments submitted by others. To view previously submitted comments:
1. Go to dms.puc.hawaii.gov/dms/ and enter the Docket No. in the “Docket Quick Link” box, located in the upper left of the screen.
2. Once the docket information appears, click on the “Documents” tab in the middle of the screen. (This will load all the comments that have been submitted on the issue)
3. Click on the file icon for the document you wish to view.